CBD for ADHD?
We're not going to tell you CBD oil can cure ADHD, sorry it's just not true. There is no cure for ADHD, however, CBD oil can help ease the symptoms you experience from ADHD. That's definitely exciting news for the approximate 51.1 million people world wide who suffer from this neurodevelopmental mental disorder characterized by difficulty paying attention, excessive activity, and difficulty controlling behavior.
Symptoms of Inattention Include:
- has trouble organizing even simple tasks
- loses things necessary for tasks
- appears forgetful in daily activities
- has a short attention span and being easily distracted
- makes careless mistakes – for example, in schoolwork
- is unable to stick at tasks that are tedious or time-consuming
- appears unable to listen to or carry out instructions
- is constantly changing activity or task
- has trouble focusing on tasks even when trying very hard to
- gives no close attention to details
Symptoms of Hyperactivity/Impulsivity Include:
- unable to sit still
- takes risks with little thought for the dangers
- "on the go" or "driven by a motor"
- talks excessively
- blurts out answers too early
- has trouble waiting their turn
- interrupts or intrudes on conversations
- says things seemingly unrelated to task/topic
According to a clinical pilot study published in European Neuropsycopharmacology (August 2017) online by Ruth E. Cooper et al, there was improvement in hyperactivity/impulsivity, a cognitive measure of inhibition, and a trend towards improvement for inattention.
"Adults with ADHD may represent a subgroup of individuals that gain
cognitive enhancement and reduction in ADHD symptoms from the use
of cannabinoids. While not definitive, this study provides preliminary
evidence supporting the self-medication theory of cannabis use in ADHD
and the need for further research into the effects of cannabinoids on
ADHD symptoms and impairments."
So really, there is no downside to giving CBD oil a try to help alleviate some ADHD symptoms . CBD oil won’t get you high, is readily available, and has no major side effects in comparison to those from common ADHD medications. As always, it is important to do your own research and to consult with your doctor about the best treatment for your ADHD.
+These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. These statements are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.